“Up” focuses on love with a Pixar touch

6 Submitted by on Tue, 23 June 2009, 00:36

By Keith Gibson

“Up” is the latest, and perhaps funniest, masterpiece from Pixar. “Up” – the story of an ill-tempered old man and a boy-scout stowaway who travel to a far-away land in South America – is the studio’s 10th film, and fittingly so.

The first five minutes of the film is nothing short of perfect; it is an emotional rollercoaster that provides the origin of Carl Fredricksen, the grumpy, elderly protagonist, and his motivation for the film. Pixar shows much maturity in handling several intense, complex moments during these first few minutes.

The film wears many different hats in the genre department equally well. Indie-adventure. Grand, sweeping epic. Heartfelt comedy. It handles all with aplomb and honesty.

The villain’s entrance is no sooner than an hour into the picture, but it does not feel late in the least. In many animated films, the villain is the weakest piece of the film, but that is not the case here; the villain is set up properly and its turning point is handled splendidly.

In my opinion, the weakest part of the film (if there is such a thing in its case) was the ridiculousness of the talking canines toward the end of the film. Their use of human technologies left me scratching my head, as it defied the setup that their only extraordinary ability was that of human speech.

There are many different levels to the film and its themes, such as the correlation between Carl and the “Snipe” Doug. Both attempt to isolate themselves from civilization, but are unable to do so as society seeks to detain them.

At its core, “Up” is a love story. Not merely between Carl and his wife, Elie, either. It is love for adventure, love for innocence and the protection of both. It is arguably the best film made in the studio’s short history, gracefully taking its place alongside other heavyweights such as “Wall-E,” “Toy Story,” and “Finding Nemo.”

“Up” is now playing in theaters.

Written by

6 Responses to "“Up” focuses on love with a Pixar touch"
  1. Mary says:

Pretty good post. I just came across your blog and wanted to say
    that I’ve really liked reading your posts. Anyway
    I’ll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon!

2. mary-aloe says:

I wanted to introduce myself – Thanks 🙂

Mary Aloe

3. AporaCoardy says:

I just felt I needed to break in and say how-do-you-do to everyone. I needed to acquaint me, my name is Chris.

I determined to post now because I feel this message board as a whole is very useful and friendly place. I appreciate looking at all of the themes and topics here and taking into consideration that I don’t post much, I decided to make my very initial thread.

I just created my first site and wanted to share it with all and receive some constructive feedback.

The site is http://computerrepair101.wetpaint.com – computer repair

4. AporaCoardy says:

I stopped in to make a quick topic to acquaint myself. My name is Josh and I stumbled here by a quick search and wanted to just say hello. I would prefer to engage in future discussions and look onward to talking with everyone.

My best past time is http://www.squidoo.com/onlinecomputerrepair101 – computer repair

5. goalaytot says:

OMFG !

This isn’t the kind of thing that you see everyday

Btw – I’ve seen the hype everywhere. Even eSnips.com released the funny video & ringtone services coverage.

Anyway, enjoy http://82up.com/smile.gif

6. Clay says:

Incredible. audiohollywood.net is my favorite site.